This bowl of Paleo Thai Basil Beef Stir Fry is going to become a weeknight staple in our home. I hope it becomes a staple for you too!
Before we jump in, let me share something new I’ll be doing here on Our Savory Life! Every week I will be posting a new recipe! I asked you all over on Instagram when you want to receive that new recipe, Thursday or Sunday? The votes are in:
If you read my book Come & Eat then you know I am so passionate about brining people together over a meal. I want to keep serving you by giving you even more recipes!
So, thank you to everyone who voted! I’ll be posting a new recipe every Thursday! And be sure you’re following me on Instagram as I always share more about my life and meals in that space.
Paleo Thai Basil Beef Stir Fry
Ok, the reason we’re all here:
I have tested this recipe quite a few times, in fact I took a few months off from testing it because I was getting frustrated.
Recreating the bold and umami flavors of soy sauce and dark brown sugar was a little more to reckon with than I thought. But a few weeks ago I stepped up to the stove again and nearly burst into tears of joy when the finished product came out.
And then Jeremy and I ate two full bowls for dinner. So, there’s that.
If you’re new to paleo, let me break down the ingredients I swapped out:
Coconut Aminos instead of soy sauce. Coconut aminos is a sauce made from coconut sap. People who are paleo or gluten free often use this in place of soy sauce because it has a rich, salty and sweet flavor (like Soy Sauce).
Coconut sugar instead of white or brown sugar. I am not going to lie – I was skeptical. This was my first time using coconut sugar because I generally use honey as a sweetener. But it did not disappoint!
The sauce is made with the coconut aminos, the coconut sugar and fish sauce (I use Red Boat!).
I also made Nom Nom Paleo’s paleo sriracha and it is AMAZING!
This stir fry comes together so fast and it is so versatile. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand. I used what was in my refrigerator!
I hope the people you bring to your table love this and I am so excited to start giving you even more recipes to inspire you to gather people! xxPrint
Paleo Thai Basil Beef Stir Fry
- Yield: 4 servings
1 TBS coconut oil
1 bell pepper, sliced
1/2 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves (or regular fresh basil), chopped
1 inch of fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 lbs 80/20 grass fed ground beef
3 TBS Coconut Aminos
1 TBS coconut sugar
1 tsp Red Boat fish sauce
1 tsp salt
Juice from 1/2 lime
2 carrots, shredded
2 scallions, sliced
Basmati rice or lettuce greens to serve over
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add bell pepper and red onion, sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic, basil and ginger stirring until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4. Add ground beef, crumbling with a wooden spoon. Let brown until cooked about 6-8 minutes.
5. In a separate bowl mix the coconut aminos, coconut sugar and fish sauce until combined.
6. Add sauce into the skillet and sprinkle salt over beef mixture.
7. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the sauce to caramelize the beef.
8. Turn off heat. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime over the stir fry (you can skip this step and serve everyone lime wedges if some people in your family do not like lime juice). Mix to incorporate the lime juice.
8. Serve over basmati rice or fresh greens.
9. Optional: Top with shredded carrots, scallions, fresh basil, sliced fresh jalapéno, and a lime wedge.
Note: This recipe serves 4 adults. For more servings just double or triple the recipe!