Introducing bacon wrapped avocado “fries.”
In case you missed it, we’re wrapping everything in bacon over here! Especially because this is the last week to sign-up with ButcherBox and get the Free Bacon for Life promo.
To be honest, I feel like bacon on its own is pretty irresistible. I especially love making a sheet tray of bacon with my sweet potato toast for breakfast.
But free bacon for life is a lot of bacon so I wanted to share all the fun things you can do with bacon!
We’ve stuffed jalapeños with two different kinds of cheeses and wrapped them in bacon.
I resurfaced my bacon wrapped dates from years ago.
And, maybe my all time favorite, bacon wrapped sweet potato fries. They are perfect to be served with a spicy ketchup or with maple syrup!
Now I’m wrapping avocados in bacon!
Bacon Wrapped Avocado Fries
This is going to be very easy and very delicious. You need bacon and avocados.
If you want to add a little extra flavor, you can cut some slices of jalapeño, red onion, or bell pepper to wrap alongside your avocado fry.
Each avocado half can generally give us 4 “fries” and we need 1/2 strip of bacon for each fry. That’s 2 strips of bacon for each avocado half or 4 strips of bacon for a full avocado.
Wrap them up and secure the bacon with a toothpick (bacon shrinks when baked so you want to make sure it stays on the avocado)!
If you are using a veggie to add extra flavor, be sure to put the toothpick into the bacon first, then the avocado and lastly the hard veggie. That will keep the avocado from splitting in two.
I like to bake these little gems on top of a baking rack for extra crispy bacon, but if you don’t have a baking rack you can just place them on a baking sheet!
The best part (besides the smell of your kitchen) is what you get to serve these fries with. I’ve served them with my herb dressing. I have served them with buffalo sauce (equal parts Frank’s Red Hot Sauce and melted butter). Or a combination of both!
Serve them warm out of the oven!
It is best to use an avocado that is still a little firm so it does not easily fall apart while you are working with it!
Bacon Wrapped Avocado Fries
This recipe will make 16 avocado fries. You can easily double and triple the recipe.
- 2 Avocados
- 8 strips bacon
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and cut into strips and/or 1/4 red onion, cut into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit.
- With a knife cut the flesh of the avocado (that is still inside the skin) into strips. You should be able to make four “fries” from each half.
- Carefully scoop the avocado “fries” out of the skin of the avocado. Lightly sprinkle the avocado fries with some kosher salt.
- Cut the bacon in half widthwise.
- Take one an avocado fry and wrap with half a slice of bacon. Use 2 toothpicks to secure the bacon, one on each end of the avocado fry. (Optional add a strip of jalapeño or red onion next to the avocado and then wrap with bacon. To secure, put a toothpick through the bacon, then avocado and lastly the jalapeño/red onion.)
- Spray oil onto the wire rack of a baking sheet. Add bacon wrapped avocado fries to a wire rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until bacon is crispy. (If you do not have a wire rack, you can place the fries directly onto a baking sheet. I like to use the wire rack for extra crispy bacon.)
- Serve warm.
Serve with herb dressing, sriracha, buffalo sauce, or ketchup.
Notes: you can make as many fries as you would like. Each full avocado produces 8 fries and needs 4 strips of bacon, cut in half.