This past weekend for me was made of citrus.
Sometimes life is crazy and confusing and filled to the brim with things I can’t quite grasp onto. So I reach out and grab onto an orange.
And then, the thought of chocolate occurs. And chili powder. And sea salt. Because, of course!
My weekend was going to be impregnated with chocolate dipped oranges and that’s the way I wanted it!
Making this treat is wonderfully simple. And satisfying. And while I sat there peeling oranges next to Beau life was so irresistibly simple.
It’s ok to embrace simple and maybe your day needs some simple too?
Peeling oranges next to someone you love. Sharing stories and letting the sticky, tart juice run through your fingers. Taking in the crisp citrus smell that will flavor your air.
A little simple for your day.
Chocolate Dipped Oranges
Lets all take a moment and appreciate the orange peel. Can we?
It cradles the soft flesh of that juicy orange. And it too is yummy. So as I removed the peel I sat it aside and promised the brightness that I would appreciate it too.
Because I talk to my fruit.
So there it was, cut in strips. Steeped in simple syrup. Ready for chocolate.
Aren’t we all always ready for chocolate?
I sat her aside to set. And then I sit down. And it was simple.
Melted chocolate is also simple. You can make your own double boiler by adding water to a sauce pan. Once it comes to a boil put a glass bowl over it (one that can be microwaved). Make sure the bowl does not touch the water and make sure not to let any of the water get into the bowl. It will ruin the chocolate.
Add your chocolate and stir and watch it melt.
And the orange segments? Dip them in the chocolate.
Set them on a cooling rack. Sprinkle them with sea salt.
Or chili powder for a spicy kick.
Or crushed nuts. Or, anything really 🙂
Do you know? This was dinner. Simple. Bright. Salty sweet.
We sipped on espresso and shared chocolate dipped oranges and let simplicity carry us into the night.
What is your simple?
Chocolate Dipped Oranges Kissed with Sea SaltCandied Orange Peel with Chocolate
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 orange, peeled (reserve orange peel)
- 1 4oz. bar of semi-sweet chocolate
- Salt for sprinkling
- Chili powder for sprinkling
- One orange peel
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet dark chocolate (or a 4 oz. bar of semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Peel the orange and segment it into pieces.
- Melt the chocolate bar in a double boiler (or you can microwave it for 30 seconds at a time making sure to stir after each 30 seconds).
- Dip each orange segment in the chocolate. Place on a cooling rack. Sprinkle with course sea salt or chili powder.
- Put them in the freezer or refrigerator to harden the chocolate.
- Slice the peel into long, thin strips.
- Place the peel in 1 inch of boiling water. Let them steep for about three minutes. Remove the peels and rinse them with cold water. Place on paper towel.
- Bring 1/2 cup water to boil. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Add the strips of orange peel. Let them simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the orange peel with tongs and place on a cooling rack to dry. About 1 hour.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Once metled, dip the candied orange peels into the chocolate. Place on cooling rack and then into the refrigerator for the chocolate to harden.