Last week a friend asked me for my homemade taco meat recipe and I dutifully went to my blog to retrieve the link, only to find that I have never published the recipe. I just have it scribbled down in my Paprika app.
Well, that is just not sufficient. My friend, and now all of you, shall have the recipe!
To kick it up a notch I pulled together an avocado lime crema. Because, avocados.
Homemade Taco Meat
Homemade taco meat starts with homemade taco seasoning. Making your own taco seasoning is so easy. The best part is you probably have all the spices you need to make taco seasoning already!
There are lots of variations out there but this is the one I love the best because its with the spices I always have on hand.
I am also using my ButcherBox ground beef.
ButcherBox delivers the best 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage-breed pork directly to your door on your schedule — all for less than $6.00 per meal!
And shipping is always free! They’re like your neighborhood butcher for a modern America.
They’re offering a crazy special deal right now — order today and you’ll get 2lbs of ground beef added to your box for life!!!
I went live on Instagram this past Friday to share my box with you! I also shared it on Facebook. You can watch the playback here!
With ButcherBox, I no longer have to spend time in the meat section of my grocer trying to read and decipher all the labels on the meat. I know the meat in my ButcherBox is the healthiest meat I can be eating and feeding my people.
I’ve been a subscriber to ButcherBox for months and it has been one of the easiest and most convenient decisions I’ve made as a home cook.
If you’re ready to learn more, visit this link! You can also sign-up knowing that if this subscription is not for you, you can cancel at anytime! Do not delay though, this offer only lasts to the end of March!
Anyway, I get a little excited about high-quality meat. Back to my homemade taco meat!
Taco meat is just a combination of spices, a little tomato paste, and some diced red onion. That’s it. It comes together in less than 20 minutes so have all your ingredients out and ready to mingle.
The best part of this meal is it can serve a variety of dietary restrictions. The taco meat alone is paleo. You can serve it over a bed of greens or basmati rice or in taco shells. There are so many options!
Now let’s talk about the Avocado Lime Crema. I mean, just pass the spoon please. It is so flavorful and adds a nice cooling, citrusy element to your taco bowl.
It’s so easy! Just avocado, lime, garlic, greek yogurt, heavy cream and salt!
Did I spend time just dipping chips into this crema after I made it instead of taking more photos? Yes I did.
If you are looking for a quick but flavorful option for weeknights, I hope you give this a try! Bonus – you can triple the seasoning recipe and set the rest aside in an airtight container for future use!Print
Homemade Taco Meat
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1.5 lbs ground meat (I like to use 85/15% organic ground beef)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 recipe of the taco seasoning
- 1 TBS tomato paste
Optional Taco Bar Ingredients
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Lettuce (for people who want a taco salad)
- Sour Cream (or avocado lime crema)
- Shredded Cheese
- Hot sauce
1. Mix the taco seasoning together and set aside.
2. In a sauté pan add the oil and turn heat to medium-high. Once the pan comes to temperature, add the onion and sauté for two minutes.
3. Add ground beef. With a wood spoon break apart the meat. Brown for 6 minutes.
4. Add the taco seasoning mix and tomato paste. Mix to incorporate all ingredients.
5. Turn heat to medium and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. Serve with any of the optional taco bar ingredients!
Avocado Lime Crema
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice from one lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, removed from skin without the pit
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Food Processor Method:
- Add garlic thru salt to a food processor. Pulse 10-15 times.
- Add avocado, greek yogurt and heavy cream to the food processor. Pulse until smooth and creamy (about 15 pulses).
If you do not have a food processor:
- In a bowl, fully mash an avocado until creamy. (Can use a potato masher or the back of a fork.)
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl with the avocado. Stir to combine.
Allow to sit in refrigerator for at least an hour for the flavors to combine. Serve! Will last in refrigerator for up to one week!