For the Marinade:
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade and add to a large dish or ziplock baggie. Add the chicken thighs. Place in the refrigerator and marinate overnight, or for at least 2 – 4 hours.
For the Dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine. Place in the refrigerator. Can be made up to several hours or days in advance. Will last in the refrigerator for up to 12 days.
For the Quick Pickled Veggies:
- Using a vegetable peeler, julienne (long thin slices) the carrots and the cucumber (you can do this by using the julienne blade side of the peeler and just running it down the length of the carrot and cucumber).
- Add to a small dish and add the rice wine vinegar. Mix to combine. Set in the refrigerator. Can be done several hours or days in advance. Will last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Rub the grill down with oil. Be sure to remove any excess marinade from the chicken thighs. Place thighs on grill. Close lid.
- Grill for 4 – 5 minutes. Flip and grill for another 4 – 5 minutes with the lid closed. Chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Add to plate and cover with foil to rest for about 5 minutes and slice.
Stovetop Method: (The marinade on this chicken really does best when it is grilled, but if grilling is not an option, please follow these tips and instructions.)
- In a large non-stick sauté pan, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- While the pan is heating, take a large plate and lay down some paper towels. Remove your chicken from the marinade onto the paper towel. Cover with another sheet of paper towel to remove the excess marinade from the chicken (this step is important as the marinade has sugar in it and it is quite heavy – the chicken will not will not cook properly without this step).
- Once the sauté pan is heated, add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and cook for an additional 4 – 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken on a plate and cover with foil. Let rest for 5 minutes and slice.
- If you are using the bread I recommend in the post (a baguette you can bring home and bake), follow the package instructions to heat it up. Cut each baguette in half and then slice down the middle, making sure not to slice all the way through the bread.
- Add a good dollop of the dressing and spread all on the inside of the bread, then add the sliced chicken followed by the fresh jalapeños (optional), the pickled vegetables, and the fresh herbs (mint, cilantro, and green onions).