February. Big, bright, messy month that she is. Here, inviting herself into our lives.
Invite. This is my One Word for 2015.
It has come up around me and slipped its hand in mine. Like an old friend. Like a courageous new friend.
Inviting is everywhere.
Inviting is generosity calling out someone by name in a way that reaches to their heart. Pulls them in from a harsh world and says, “It’s cold out there, right?! Let’s gather and shake off the harsh mundane every day and share a meal. Let’s share fragments of our hearts too.”
There is inviting someone or someones over to a meal in hopes that through big mysterious grace your invitation is the smallest glimpse of our Lord’s invitation. To come and enjoy Him. To come and do life with Him.
To imitate how He invited. Come follow me, He said.
This soup begs to be shared. It will come out delicious and warm. Ready to serve your guests.
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
So, let’s soup. Because it is still cold. Because I shared how to make a batch of homemade roasted chilies. Which is a bold tasting substitute for canned green chilies.
And I have some in my freezer I need to use.
This week, chicken taco soup. This is a great beginning-of-the-week meal because as the days go on its flavors become richer.
Also, this soup is a one-pot wonder.
We start with onions and spices and shredded chicken (use a rotisserie chicken from your local market to make this a super quick meal):
And, can we talk about bright things?
Who does not want to throw a party with cilantro, avocado and limes?!
So we chop, we sautee, we stir and we simmer. In one pot.
Then we eat.
And we also invite.Print
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 TBS salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Juice of one lime
- 4 ounces roasted and chopped green chili peppers
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, frozen
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- sliced avocado
- shredded cheese
- hot sauce
- In a stock pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Saute onion until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add shredded chicken and stir in chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, lime juice, and green chilies. Saute for a few minutes allowing the aromatics to coat the chicken.
- Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil then turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn and beans. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and add any needed salt or pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls. Top with avocado slices, cheese, sour cream, a lime wedge and cilantro.