I have been insanely excited to share this recipe with you! This sticky honey chicken recipe is what cravings were made for. And it comes together so fast using just a few staple ingredients.
A few weeks ago I was craving Asian food in a big way. Generally my Thai Basil Stir-fry is the perfect answer. But this time I wanted something sweeter. Something sticky and packed with umami flavors.
And this was the birth of this sticky honey chicken recipe.
Sticky Honey Chicken Recipe
First, we brown some chicken thighs. Or you can use chicken breasts.
Then shred with a stand mixer or in a bowl using two forks.
Next we make the sauce. I need you all to trust me on the sauce ingredients. On their own, they might sound a little strange, but, together, they make the most divine sauce for our chicken.
I use honey, tomato sauce (you can use ketchup), coconut aminos or soy sauce, garlic, a little sriracha (I like the Yellow Bird brand which is Paleo and 100% delicious), and juice from a fresh lime.
You can omit the sriracha if you don’t like heat, but I use a very little bit and let people add more once it is plated!
Toss the chicken in the sauce, add some sugar snap peas (or broccoli if you have it on hand)!
Let’s talk about rice. I make my rice in the Instant Pot and it is a dream. It comes out perfect every time. I generally use stock or water as the liquid for the rice, but, the other day, one of my best friends told me she uses canned coconut milk.
You can add a can of full fat coconut milk to the Instant Pot instead of water or stock. That’s it. It is so creamy with a hint of coconut and I will now make rice like this for all my Asian dishes. (Full instructions on the rice below.)
We like to serve this dish with sliced avocado, topped with toasted sesame seeds.
I hope this meal brings you as much happiness as it has brought Jeremy and me. I have made it 5 times in the past two weeks and we’re still super into it. In fact, going to go reheat a plate right now. Byeeeeeeeee.Print
Sticky Honey Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 TBS soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 TBS tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas (optional)
- Sesame seeds (for garnish, optional)
For Coconut Rice
- 1 and 1/4 cups Basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can (about 14 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- Trim excess fat off chicken thighs and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- In a sauté pan over medium high heat add oil and butter.
- Once butter is melted, add chicken thighs. Brown chicken until cooked. About 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from pan to a bowl. Cover.
- In the same pan the chicken cooked in, over medium heat, add the soy sauce, honey, tomato sauce, garlic and sriracha. Mix and let simmer for 2 minutes while it thickens.
- Add lime juice and sugar snap peas. Simmer for an additional minute.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken with two forks or a in a stand mixer. Add shredded chicken to the sauce in the sauté pan. Mix to combine.
Serve over Basmati rice, cauliflower rice, or steamed veggies. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, slices of avocado and a wedge of lime.
Instant Pot Coconut Basmati Rice:
- Mix canned coconut milk so the fat and the milk are incorporated, add to IP. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup water, and rice. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid and move valve to “Sealing.” Cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes. Allow for a natural pressure release for 7 minutes. Move valve to “Venting.”
- Give the rice and good stir and serve!