To make my mom’s version:
- Add 1 cup cream to a saucepan over medium high heat and allow to come to a simmer.
- Add cheese slices. Allow cheese to melt and get bubbly (this will take about 2 – 3 minutes; be sure to stir to incorporate everything). Do not walk away from your pan or your stove will be wearing a new queso cape. Add salsa verde or hatch green chilies. Enjoy immediately!
To make my extra version:
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add the butter. Once the butter melts, add the garlic and let it cook for about one minute.
- Add the heavy cream and 3 Tbsp canned green chilies. Once it comes to a simmer, add the cheese.
- Allow cheese to melt, making sure to stir so everything gets incorporated. Add the salt and the juice from the jar of Hot Chili Peppers. Enjoy immediately!