Weeknight Homemade Bolognese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine, divided
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 TBS kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, crumbling the meat with a wooden spoon, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the meat has lost its pink color and has started to brown.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Carefully pour 1 cup of the wine into the skillet, stirring to scrape up any browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoons pepper, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- After 10 minutes add the basil, cream, and the remaining 1/4 cup wine to the sauce and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. After 10 minutes add the parmesan.